So. I’m back.
Well. Sort of back. Mostly back.
Figuring out how to be back?
Basically, I’ve missed you guys. I’ve also missed all the cool things people are doing and saying and talking about. I’ve missed all that crap. And, turns out, I’ve a bit of a lull at the mo’ and thought I’d give it a shot coming back.
Now – this isn’t 100% just yet. I’m essentially seeing if I can get my groove back, if I can find a balance (before things get crazy again). I don’t know if I’ll be posting on the regular just yet, but I will be getting back to twitter and FB (although should I even bother with FB as a page?). I’ll also be reading again, and seeing what everyone has been up to. Although… looks like some people have been just as MIA as I have!
So – couple things first:
- 1. Pretty pretty please tell me what you’ve been up to in the last year in the comments! Or feel free to e-mail me (womenarefrommars at gmail.com)
- 2. Any new, cool bloggers I should check out?
As for me? Well – some new stuff, I guess…
- That’s Dr. Nikki to you. Yeah…. I finished the PhD. Written up beginning of October, defended later that month. Went off to binding last week. WHEW. And yet – still feels pretty goddamn surreal that the last five years have come to a close. Of course, now I just have to get my chapters into manuscripts and submitted for publication… sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh… But, you know, I can now basically join the real world. I’ve only been in school twenty-some-odd years…
- I’m movin’ up. Last week received an UNofficial offer for a postdoctoral position at an Ivy League school. That’s right – Ivy League. There’s even REAL IVY growing on a lot of the buildings there (they brought me down for an interview so I can attest to this). I KNOW FANCY RIGHT. Wait…what’s a postdoctoral whatever you say? Well, a postdoc is kind-of the next step in some fields after you get your PhD – it’s a short, 1-2yrs, research position that serves to give you experience before you look for a real job. It’s like a baby step towards the real world. At least I actually get a normal person’s salary.
Sooooooooo that’s the big news! Pretty exciting! And also the reason why I have some down time (except for those manuscripts… that are staring at me from inside my computer as we speak… er, write…). I start my new postdoc supposedly the beginning of February, but there’s been some delay on it getting all formalized. Which is a little annoying, but I’m trying to not be annoying to my new bosses about it and be patient. As such, I’ll probably be moving in January sometime, so trying to find a new place. Which sucks. Especially cuz this is my view at the moment…
Sooooo you can understand why I’m loathe to leave.
Lots of changes happening. Stuff going on. Big things! Huzzah! And that’s about it that’s new, really. Everything else about the same. Wait, what? Who? Oh, right. I guess there is one other thing to discuss…
- 3. That foreign country I’m dating. Yep. Canada and I are still together. Which is cray – it’s been well over 1.5 years! Can you believe it? Well, I can’t. I guess it’s cuz he’s pretty much awesome so… like I’m gonna kick a good thing to the curb. And, yeah, yeah, I hear ya – but Nikki, what about the big move to Ivy League? Ugh. Nope. Canada isn’t coming along. Basically, we’re both very career-oriented people, and the truth of the matter is we need to be focused on those careers right now, this soon out of our graduate programs. We need to get the best experience now so we can be choosey about things in the future. So. We’re doing the long-distance thing. Which, yeah, TOTALLY SUCKS. But what else can we do?
OK. You have the full update. That’s pretty much my news in a nutshell. Now – what’s going on with you??